Search for a Specific Ring!

Tabitha Ott: Blog

Search for a Specific Ring above!

Welcome to my blog.......

This blog was started in 2011 to document a Ring-A-Day project.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

RING No. 334

Last night I was about to go to bed, when I realized I hadn't finished a flyer that I was supposed to email that day to someone from GSS. So, I got out of bed and started working on it. (watched She-Ra on Qubo while I did!)....I later realized that I had left the sheet with some of the specs to be listed on the flyer at the studio....so I had to get out of my comfy warm house and go out into the cold to the studio....Needless to say, I finished it and came home to go to bed, but it was not until 3:30 am!...This leads me to today's post:

I allowed myself to sleep in this morning. I felt that it was warranted and needed. It was fantastic!

I woke up and did a few things around my house, checked my mail (got some cool pkgs!) and then walked to school. Shortly after I got here, I went over to the art bldg to check on the sale and check my mailbox. While I was there I decided to go see the BFA show that had just been installed the day before. There were 2 Glass students, 2 Jewelry/Metals, 1 Sculpture, and 1 Painting on display. When I saw the first part of the exhibit (Cheri Fisher - Jewelry/Metals) I was ver impressed. I hadn't seen what all she was working on this semester, so it was new and fresh to me. There were 5 mannequins with a different and varied neckpiece on each. I observed each of them (front and back) and then proceeded to read her statement. I instantly became emotional. Her 5 pieces were about the 5 stages of grief. As many of you may know, my grandmother passed away in late May and I have been dealing with these stages. I went back over to the work to take a second look and I could not hold back the tears. There before me stood tangible representations of the things i had been dealing with for the past 6 months. It was eerie and helpful at the same time. Eerie because I never thought I would be able to "See" grief. Helpful because I was able to relate my feelings to something that was real, beautiful, and close to my heart (Art/Jewelry).

While at the Gallery, I also viewed the work of some of my friends: Melissa Oeffner (Jewelry/Metals), Dana Zarick (Glass), and April Dunn (Glass). Their work was awesome!

I do not know the other two artists personally (Hannah-Painting, and Skyla-Sculpture), but I encourage you to visit the Show because all the work was really great. (opening is on Friday)

I worked for a while in the studio and then took a coffee break to walk to Starbucks. I got coffee for myself and for Dave, then took it to him at Tontos. I got a tasty burrito while I was there! I then walked back to school and worked for a minute or two then prepared to help my students with their casting. There were 13 flasks being cast (8 people in all) so needless to say it was a busy time. I spent the next 2 hrs. helping them (did not plan for it to take that long but we had a few hangups and problems).

I worked in the studio until just now (2am).....Since I have been at the studio since 4:30pm (almost 10 hrs!) I think I'll go home now...I am pretty tired

Tonight's ring is made from found plastic objects (Thanks Kathleen!) and Sterling silver. I call it the "Orange Pear Ring". The little green leave and orange pears move back and forth when you shake your hand! I wondered if Orange Pears existed, and with a quick google search, I have come to the conclusion that these pears represent Bosc Pears, which are orangish-brown in color. :)

Thanks for reading! Goodnight!

Materials: Plastic and Sterling silver
Dimensions: 1.75 x 1.5 x .25 inches






No comments:

Post a Comment