Search for a Specific Ring!

Tabitha Ott: Blog

Search for a Specific Ring above!

Welcome to my blog.......

This blog was started in 2011 to document a Ring-A-Day project.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

RING No. 23

Tonight's ring takes me way back..... back to Winthrop University and the good old days of undergrad. One day, while in the Metals studio, my friend, Alex came in and asked if he could borrow a jewelers saw to cut something out of his zinc printmaking plate (Intaglio). I said of course! When he was done, I asked what he was going to do with the scrap piece, he was going to discard it, so I jumped at the chance to snag it for future use! It was a rather charming slightly agitated creature. I cut him out of the larger piece and tucked that little critter away.

I thought, what better time to make use of him than now! I created a sterling silver setting with a hammered ovular disc shape that could be viewed as a planet in the background. I had several classes with Alex (mostly foundations), so I knew him since I came to Winthrop. He was a really cool guy with a sense of humor and I always admired his work. I actually have a piece in my room on a shelf, I believe he called them "Luddites". It is an alien like creature with an eye patch (and formerly a cigarette in its mouth, which has sense vanished) in a pod form that has legs and arms. I bought it at his senior show that was held in the McLaurin 3rd Floor Galleries.

Now I can remember my buddy and his awesome work every time I see this ring!


Materials: engraved zinc, sterling silver
Dimensions: 1.25 x 1.375 x .75 inches









No comments:

Post a Comment