Search for a Specific Ring!

Tabitha Ott: Blog

Search for a Specific Ring above!

Welcome to my blog.......

This blog was started in 2011 to document a Ring-A-Day project.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

RING No. 16

Good evening! Tonight's ring is made from a "Little Slipper Shell" also called a "Boat Shell". Every since I was a small child, I have collected shells from east coast beaches (Mostly South Carolina). I have saved every single one! Perhaps in hopes of creating something with them one day and partially because I am just a collector by nature (like my father). This shell was partially damaged with a gaping hole in it. I saw potential and decided to hollow the hole out further and make it smooth and inviting. I have listed a photo below of what the shell looks like when it is in perfect condition (top and bottom).  I filed the inside edge and then sanded it lightly. I have gathered that most shells can be very delicate, depending on the stage of decomposition they are in. This particular one was quite calcified. The sanding was easy and the edges became smooth quickly.


Materials: Found shell
Dimensions: 1.625 x 1.125 x .4375 inches







No comments:

Post a Comment