Search for a Specific Ring!

Tabitha Ott: Blog

Search for a Specific Ring above!

Welcome to my blog.......

This blog was started in 2011 to document a Ring-A-Day project.

Friday, February 18, 2011

RING No. 49

I have held onto a bag of Vermiculite that came as packing material with something we ordered for the studio. I cannot quite remember what was packed in it. Upon further investigation, I learned that Vermiculite is a naturally occurring mineral that expands when heat is applied. Vermiculite is not only used for packaging, but also as insulation, conditioner for soil, incubation substrate for various types of eggs, growing medium for hydroponics, and as an ingredient in commercial hand warmers. The silk thread I used to thread this with belonged to my great grandmother. She was a seamstress all her life and a while back, I got a box of her old thread, some of which were 100% silk! I love the luxurious texture and sheen that silk has. It was perfect to string the delicate vermiculite on.

Materials: Vermiculite, silk thread
Dimensions: 1.5 x 1.5 x .5 inches



No comments:

Post a Comment