Search for a Specific Ring!

Tabitha Ott: Blog

Search for a Specific Ring above!

Welcome to my blog.......

This blog was started in 2011 to document a Ring-A-Day project.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

RING No. 46

I had a slo-mo start to my day, and I was pretty sure I was getting sick, but I picked up the pace and it turned out to be a wonderfully fulfilling one. I went to House of Plastics to find display materials for my show and after, I had the chance to go hear Nick Cave speak at CIA in Cleveland. It was amazing! He has been one of my favorite artists for some time now. I draw alot of inspiration from his work. After the lecture, I got to meet him and talk with him for a few minutes. He was friendly and super cool. As I drove home, I was designing a ring in my head that would be inspired by him and his work. I thought back to when I went to New York and I got to see his work as well as ancient African dance costumes that serve as inspiration for his work. I remembered a shell costume that was completely covered. So, I plundered through all my sea findings and plucked as many interesting shells as I could find. I drilled holes in them and then strung them on a silk thread. I had initially thought to make a round ring but it proved to be too difficult and time consuming (I have to study for a test that takes place first thing tomorrow morning). Instead, I have created a ring that rests between two fingers. Like Nick Cave's soundsuits, my sound-ring makes a unique clatter. I am thrilled!

Materials: Shells, Silk thread
Dimensions: 3.25 x 2 x 2 inches




No comments:

Post a Comment